Protesters responsible for assault of Mali interim president to be punished
BAMAKO - A day after interim leader Dioncounda Traore was assaulted and hit over the head when hundreds of protesters swarmed the Mali palace, the 15-state ECOWAS West African bloc warned on Tuesday it would punish those responsible for the violence.
Traore received treatment in hospital for head injuries.
The ECOWAS said it is investigating how the attack took place despite security at the palace. The bloc said it will impose sanctions against those it finds to be orchestrating unrest.
U.N. Security Council has reiterated its support for ECOWAS efforts in Mali.
The attack came days after coup leader Captain Amadou Sanogo agreed under pressure from ECOWAS to allow an extension of Traore's 40-day mandate as caretaker president.
"ECOWAS forcefully condemns this attack which it considers to be in defiance of its decisions. It will make the necessary inquiries to establish who ordered and carried out this reprehensible attack and apply the appropriate sanctions," it said.
On Monday, unarmed protesters, mostly dressed in jeans and t-shirt swarmed into the palace and occupied the compound.
"ECOWAS will make the necessary inquiries to establish who ordered and carried out this reprehensible attack and apply the appropriate sanctions," the 15-state body said in a statement.
Mali is struggling to cope with the aftermath of the March 22 coup and a subsequent rebellion in its desert north.
More Reno NewsRSS
By Sue Zeidler LOS ANGELES | Wed May 22, 2013 3:55pm EDT LOS ANGELES May 22 (Reuters) - Caesars Entertainment Group said it plans to go live this summer with an online poker site in Nevada, the only U.S. state so far to offer legal Internet gambling, and will promote the nascent service to thousands of poker players at its World Series of Poker (WSOP) tournament in Las Vegas starting ...
CARSON CITY -- A panel of lawmakers decided Wednesday not to fund construction of a new $700,000 execution chamber at Ely State Prison. The decision was made by a joint Assembly Ways and Means and Senate Finance subcommittee when it voted to approve a $104 million capital improvement program for the upcoming two-year budget that begins July 1. The vote was unanimous and there was no comment from ...
More political news /inline-content --> On one hand, Angie Wilson said she's looking forward to when the health care overhaul takes full effect in 2014 -- it'll allow the Northern Nevada tribal health clinic she directs to maximize its limited resources. But on the other hand, the director of ...
"Implement lottery in lieu of taxes," regarding the need to have a lottery in Nevada, the Nevada Constitution forbids lotteries except for charitable purposes. Article 4, Section 24 states "no lottery may be authorized by this State, nor may lottery tickets be sold." However, in 1990 the Legislature amended the law to permit charitable organizations to conduct fundraising ...
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 | 6:24 p.m. The recently appointed administrator of the Nevada Housing Division has been placed on administrative leave after being cited for soliciting and engaging in prostitution. Jim deProsse of Sparks was cited by Reno police during a vice operation "for soliciting the services of a female." Several others were cited April 26. DeProsse was appointed in ...
CARSON CITY -- A bill that would require insurance companies that provide cancer coverage to pay a bigger share of the cost of new oral chemotherapy medications passed the Assembly with a unanimous vote Tuesday. Changes made to Senate Bill 266 in the Assembly will have to be agreed to by the Senate before the bill can go to Gov. Brian Sandoval for his consideration. The bill was sponsored by ...
CARSON CITY -- Senate Majority Leader Mo Denis conceded in a floor speech Tuesday that Democrats will not be able to raise taxes this session to provide the $300 million in education improvement they sought. "At the end of the day we will do nothing to help our kids," said the Las Vegas Democrat. "It is really a shame." Contact Capital Bureau Chief Ed Vogel ...
FERNLEY -- A judge on Tuesday ordered a psychiatric evaluation for a 25-year-old Northern Nevada man accused of killing two couples in two homes in the rural town of Fernley and a newspaper deliveryman off an Interstate 80 exit in Sparks during the Mother's Day weekend. Jeremiah Bean appeared calm during a short hearing at which Fernley Justice of the Peace Robert J. Bennett granted a ...
News from around our Network
Showing 1 thru 3 out of 10More from our network
Showing 4 thru 6 out of 10More from our network
Showing 7 thru 9 out of 10More from our network